The key to a successful Risk Management exercise conducted by RM4HD is agreement at the beginning of the process that nothing is taboo. We must be free to Question Everything and Assume Nothing.
The answers to the following list of examples are not as obvious as we may think nor can consensus be assumed (especially for values-based organisations operating in complex environments):
- Why are we here? What would happen if we packed up and left tomorrow?
- What is the problem we are seeking to address? How exactly?
- Are our accomplishments measurable?
- What happens if a staff member has a heart attack/car accident etc?
- Do we shut down if a staff member is killed on the job? Under what circumstances?
- Why would anyone want to interfere with our project?
- Who has an interest in project success? Who has an interest in project failure? Why?
- Is there ongoing armed conflict? Does our programming contribute to the conflict? Are we a party to it?
- Are we perceived to be a contributor to the community’s problems or its solutions?
- The list goes on and on ……